PhD Studentship in HumanitiesPosted date:
To study the theorization of cultural identity and cultural property of the urban
Faculty of Humanities, Curtin University, Malaysia
Duration of Studentship: 3 Years
Nature of support available: Complete tuition fee waiver; Stipend: 2000 RM/Month
Supervisor: Professor Beena Giridharan
Description: The student will conduct research to investigate the theorization of cultural identity and cultural property of the Dayak tattoo (focusing among four main ethnic groups) and to discover the urban Dayak communities’ artistic appreciation of the art, and economic activity with regard to the tattooing sector, and the significance of tattoos in contemporary Dayak society. A significant portion of his/her data would be drawn from the project -Urban Dayak and the tattoo- Artistic and cultural connections, economic endeavour and contemporary Dayak identity, funded by the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia. The project involves ethnomethodology where the candidate is required to document the methods and practices of community members to derive understanding and formulate the theorization of cultural identity.
Person Specification: Applicants should have a first or second class Master’s degree in Cultural Studies/Sociology/, with demonstrated experience in ethnomethodology/field work with indigenous communities.
Closing Date: Until further notice.
- First (or second) class Master’s degree in Cultural Studies/Sociology
- Experience in working with indigenous communities in a participatory
- Demonstrated experience in ethnomethodology and field work.
- Proficient in basic statistical tools.
- A high level of understanding of field research methods pertaining to ethnomethodology
- Good communication skills
- Skilled in basic computer usage, word processing and spreadsheet.
- Non-ethnocentric and adaptable team player with pleasing manners
- An intuitive and self-motivated researcher.
- Strong organisational and inter-personal skills
- Willingness to learn new languages.
Candidates are requested to email Professor Beena Giridharan (firstname.lastname@example.org;Beena.Giridharan@curtin.edu.au) with an updated CV and a statement explaining why you are the right candidate for the project.
|Please contact Professor Beena Giridharan (email@example.com;Beena.Giridharan@curtin.edu.au) for further details.|